Lundin Peak via east ridge
Bruno, Brett, Carla, Yana, and I parked at the Snoqualmie Pass PCT
trailhead and headed up the Commonwealth Basin cutoff trail. We
followed the trail to the Red/Lundin pass, where we headed NW up the
nice climber's trail to the east peak of Lundin. (On our way back we
met lots of non-climbers on this trail, so maybe it's not just a
From the east peak Bruno scrambled down the rocky gully on the south
side of the peak just 20 feet down from the summit. There's what
looks like a well-traveled rocky path that leads west out of the
gully, but it dead-ends. The gully route goes to the heather ledge
visible at the bottom of the gully. The heather ledge contours
around to the west side of the east peak of Lundin. (We all scrambled
up this gully on our way back.)
The rest of us rappeled from the summit of the east peak of Lundin to
the saddle on its west side.
From the saddle on the west side of the east peak of Lundin, we
followed the rocky ridge a short distance before traversing around the
north side of the middle peak of Lundin on a climber's path. From the
west ridge of the middle peak we dropped down another gully to the
saddle between the middle peak and the main peak.
From the middle peak we had spotted some of the big bolts on the east
ridge of the main summit. We headed up the south side of the east
ridge then scrambled up class 3 rock to the top of the rocky east
ridge where the first bolt was.
Bruno scrambled from the first bolt to the summit. I set a fixed line
between the first bolt and the mess of runners at a rap station above
the third bolt and everybody else prusiked up the fixed line.
It was easy scrambling from the rap station to the summit. There's an
old brass Mountaineers summit register at the top that needs new
Elevation gain: approx. 2,845 feet
Trip type: scramble/basic alpine climb
USGS quad: Snoqualmie Pass
In: Middle Fork Snoqualmie Drainage, South Fork Snoqualmie Drainage
Car-to-car time: 8 hours 42 minutes
- 37 minutes driving there from TNAB rendezvous point to Snoqualmie Pass PCT trailhead
- 2 hours 23 minutes ascending from Snoqualmie Pass PCT trailhead to East summit of Lundin Peak
- 2 hours ascending from East summit of Lundin Peak to Summit of Lundin Peak
- 58 minutes descending from Summit of Lundin Peak to East summit of Lundin Peak
- 2 hours 12 minutes descending from East summit of Lundin Peak to Snoqualmie Pass PCT trailhead
- 55 minutes driving back from Snoqualmie Pass PCT trailhead to Capitol Hill
Copyright © 2007 Gabriel Deal.