Talapus Lake from exit 45
Ian and I parked on road 9030 a few hundred feet from exit 45. The
road is washed out here. We put on our skis and headed up 9030 to the
Talapus/Olallie Lakes trailhead. We hit another washout shortly after
the intersection with road 9031.
From the trailhead we took the small ridge west of Talapus Creek. The
ridge is treed the whole way, no views. At 3,340' we left the ridge
and headed down gentle slopes to the Talapus Lake outlet. We admired
the snow slopes NW of the lake and resolved to come back in the spring
to ski them.
We returned the same way. The trees on the ridge were a bit too
tight, luckily the ridge is mellow enough that we could usually
maneuver around them (we suffered one collision with a tree). When we
got back to the trailhead we were surprised to find loads of snowshoe
tracks in what had been untracked snow in the morning. We encountered
many snowshoers and a few skiers while we skied down the road.
Elevation gain: approx. 1,815 feet
Trip type: backcountry ski
USGS quad: Bandera
In: South Fork Snoqualmie Drainage, Alpine Lakes Wilderness
Reference: Cross-Country Ski Tours: Washington's South Cascades & Olympics
Car-to-car time: 5 hours 44 minutes
- 1 hour 23 minutes ascending from exit 45 on I-90 to Talapus Lake trailhead
- 1 hour 25 minutes ascending from Talapus Lake trailhead to where we left the ridge
- 25 minutes ascending from where we left the ridge to Talapus Lake
- 17 minutes descending from Talapus Lake to where we rejoined the ridge
- 41 minutes descending from where we rejoined the ridge to Talapus Lake trailhead
- 43 minutes descending from Talapus Lake trailhead to exit 45 on I-90
- 49 minutes driving back from exit 45 on I-90 to 65th Street Park and Ride
Copyright © 2007 Gabriel Deal.