Rampart Ridge and Dungeon Peak
Jiri and I parked on the northern-most part of Road 136 where it turns
sharply south out of Rocky Run. This is the trailhead for the
unofficial trail (not on any map) that runs NNE up Rocky Run to Lake
Laura and Lake Lillian. Before reaching Lake Lillian the path joins
with trail #1332.
At Lake Lillian we followed a path that skirts the east side of the
lake, then climbs over to the east side of Rampart Ridge. On the east
side of the ridge we continued following the bootpath north to the
5,870' summit of Rampart Ridge. The summit block is most easily
attained by scrambling the rock stairs on the NE side of the summit
(Jiri scrambled the exposed south side, just watching that scared me).
On the way back to Lake Lillian we followed a bootpath that crossed
the ridge further north than our ascent route. It took us to the NW
shore of Lake Lillian.
From Lake Lillian we ascended the east ridge of Dungeon Peak (point
5,640'+). The only obstruction on the east ridge was at 5,240' where
we met with a buttress. We traversed right (north) around the
buttress and ascended the gulley on the other side.
Elevation gain: approx. 2,905 feet
Trip type: scramble
USGS quad: Chikamin Peak
Reference: Dungeon Peak
Car-to-car time: 5 hours 27 minutes
- 27 minutes ascending from Rocky Run Trailhead to Lake Laura
- 1 hour 33 minutes ascending from Lake Laura to high point of Rampart Ridge
- 13 hours 6 minutes descending from high point of Rampart Ridge to meadow east of Dungeon Peak
- 24 minutes ascending from meadow east of Dungeon Peak to where we traversed N off of SE ridge
- 14 minutes ascending from where we traversed N off of SE ridge to summit of Dungeon Peak
- 58 minutes descending from summit of Dungeon Peak to Rocky Run Trailhead
Rampart Ridge over Lake Lillian
Bootpath to Rampart Ridge
High point of Rampart Ridge
Rampart Ridge from Dungeon Peak
Hibox Peak from Dungeon Peak
Copyright © 2005 Gabriel Deal.